2.06.2009

On the other side of the camera...

I figured since I just experimented with my hair (a first . . . almost blonde .. . yikes) and my mother (who is across the country) is dying to see what it looks like... it was time for me to step in front of the camera.

Every year I force m
yself from behind the lens to step in front of it for once. It really helps me remember what it's like to have a camera in your face. . .and how flippin' uncomfortable it can be . . . I don't like having my picture taken to begin with much less doing it with "experimental" hair... (and as every girl knows ... one's hair can say a lot.... and I am not quite sure what mine is saying right now) ... Okay enough about the hair...

I think often times photographers forget what its like to be the subject of a photo shoot. When you
r photographing brides and grooms who aren't used to being surrounded by the paparazzi its important to step into THEIR shoes once and a while. . . . Every time I do this (even if its only for a few minutes) it reminds me how important it is to make my couples and clients feel comfortable with me and almost forget that there's even a camera there. I try to chat with them, relax, put them in a general pose then let them be free and natural... its really up to me to catch the moment. . .not to create it!!

Th
is is one reason I think an Engagement Shoot is important its kind of like a "practice run" before the big day... I get to hangout with my couple, without any nerves or schedule... its probably one of my favorite things to shoot!

So when looking at photographers. ... think about asking them how they handle formal shots, how they postion their subjects. . .and most importantly... TALK with them .. deci
de if you like their personality and if you want to hang out with them your entire wedding day (since you will be spending more time with your photographer than with anyone else)!!!

Hope this helps a bit. . .

Here's to stepping outside your comfort zone once in awhile!!


Love,

A

No comments: