12.25.2008

Merry Christmas from Cleveland...


I just finished a busy but wonderful 48 hours in Cleveland visiting with my very large, very loving Slovenian family. Everyone here is a person of their own, we all have different passions, different lifestyles, and come from different areas. . . but the one thing that seems to bond us all together is a true sense of family: anyone is welcome whether you are related by blood, by marriage, or simply because you live next door and have no where else to be.

Every year I travel across the country because it
is worth it... every bit of travel hassle, freezing weather and lack of sleep, ... imagine 50 people under one roof for one reason. Tons of kids running around, food beyond explanation, and then my favorite part . . .THE EXCHANGE... 20 grown adults fighting over a pile of presents... stealing, bribing . . no rules allowed... in the end . . .tons of laughter. . . a lot of wrapping paper thrown around... and ultimately it really isn't about the gift but how you acquired it and played the game.

The holidays are the only time that I get to be with the BIG family... from my amazing cousin Jess who, this year, broke her own record and baked
FOURTEEN different types of holiday cookies, to my many crazy uncles, aunts, cousins, second cousins (and so on), and of course no Eastern European holiday is complete without an unbelievable amount of sausage (Polish, Sicilian, and Slovenian . . .but we all know the Slovenian Klobasa is the best).
One of the most important and special moments of my holiday is the time I get to spend with my grandmother... my beautiful, amazing, and unbelievable Stara Mama . . . age 104 . . .yes that's right one hundred and four years young. . . and as strong and capable as ever!! She still walks to church every day!!

I know its a bit blurry but mom got the pic better the second time

It is a time like this, after being with my family, that I am reminded why I love shooting weddings so much. A wedding, just as the holidays, is a time when everyone is together... I love family dynamics ... no matter how unique, no matter how stressful at times ... ultimately there seems to always be a river of love that runs through the moment no matter how quiet or loud that river is.

To my family... I love you all... to those of you who made it this year and to those of you who did not (you were DEFINITELY missed)... I hope we will all be together next year.


May you all find joy in the people around you this holiday season . . .be them family by blood, by love, or by friendship!
!

Merry Christmas!

Love,

A


One more thing, tomorrow I am on my way to the Lansing, MI area. If anyone is interested in meeting with me please feel free to email. I may be organizing a get together on the 27th if you are a past, current, or future client. . . or heck you just want to say hi. Let me know if you are around.

Peace!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. it's been so wonderful to have you around. i hope the rest of your trip 'home' is as wonderful as all of this :)

.. looking forward to being out your way next spring.

Anonymous said...

Hi Andrea, You did a wonderful job on the pictures... Your family is truly amazing and everything you described them to be.. Merry Christmas.. Andrea G.